Flintridge Sacred Heart is a Catholic, Dominican, independent, college-preparatory day and boarding school whose mission is to educate young women for a life of faith, integrity and truth. We are currently seeking an innovative and accomplished visionary leader as our Director of Advancement. Reporting to the President, the Director of Advancement (DoA) will lead a team of five and program. The DoA will have a strong understanding of best practices in fund development in Independent Schools and ability to apply them at Flintridge Sacred Heart. As a chief spokesperson representing the school, the DoA will be responsible for increasing Flintridge Sacred’s Heart fundraising capacity through a strengthened culture of philanthropy.
The ideal candidate will:
- Demonstrate a commitment to the mission with the credibility and persuasiveness to secure support from others.
- Be a self-starter who is confident enough to express opinions, to forge ahead when appropriate and hold back when necessary, with a sensitivity to the feelings and opinions of others.
- Be a doer who functions effectively without being autocratic or political.
- Be a team player who is inclusive, flexible, creative, energetic and fair minded.
Essential Job Functions
The DoA oversees a department of five including direct supervision of the Director of Marketing and Communications (who oversees one staff), part-time Administrative Assistant, Director of Alumnae Relations and Special Events, Director of Annual Giving and a Database Manager. Supervisory responsibilities are full scope including recruiting, hiring, training, staff development, team building, evaluating, counseling and terminating. The DoA is expected to foster employee development, engagement and retention.
Provides oversight of development operating functions described above. In addition:
- Serves as co-moderator with the Principal of Parent Groups (Parent’s Guild, Friends of the Arts and Booster) with regard to fundraising initiatives.
- Prepares and implements annual advancement plan to ensure achievement of Academy strategic and operating goals.
- Ensures that philanthropy and fund development are carried out in keeping with the school’s values, mission, vision and plans.
Manages the Development Committee of the Board of Directors and serves as staff for the Board to report updates on advancement and other strategic initiatives. With the President, determines fundraising accountability for Board members and helps empower board engagement.
Capital Campaign and Major Gifts:
- Serves as the senior strategist in the development and implementation of major capital campaign program.
- Assures appropriate prospect research; develops a balanced funding mix of donor sources and solicitation programs tailored to the needs of the school that will enable it to attract, retain and motivate donors and fundraising volunteers.
- Manages a substantive portfolio of major gift prospects ($25,000 and above).
- Manages prospect management and tracking system, including ensuring documentation of all initiatives with major gift prospects.
- Manages the development and writing of proposals and solicitation materials.
- Assures the design and implementation of acknowledgment, stewardship and recognition programs with feedback and necessary check off systems.
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS:
Oversees marketing and communications efforts designed to create awareness of FSHA’s mission, vision and goals, attract applicants, donors and foster support for the school.
In coordination with the CFO, oversees performance measures, monitors results and helps the President and Board of Directors evaluate the effectiveness of the school’s advancement program.
In coordination with the CFO, assures sound fiscal operation of the advancement function including goal setting, budget analysis, projections and variance analysis.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required. Higher or professional degrees and/or advanced fundraising certificate preferred.
- A minimum of seven years of fundraising experience with three years of management experience with increasing levels of responsibility; direct stewardship of Boards of Directors.
- Substantive experience with planning, managing and successfully implementing a major capital campaign, including making cold calls, developing cultivation and solicitation strategies and closing major gifts.
Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy offers a rich, nurturing environment, competitive salary and benefits, and a chance to make a difference in this important position. To find out more about us, visit our website at joshuakieffer.com
. Ideal candidates must be willing to work weeknight and weekend events as needed. If this sounds like the career move you’ve been looking for, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Please put the job title in the subject line.
Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage minorities, females, disabled and qualified veterans to apply. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful consideration of race, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.